Educational vs Promotional: How Should Your Content Mix Be on Instagram?
For modern-day businesses, there’s no social media platform that’s as potent as Instagram in terms of increasing brand awareness and driving sales. However, there’s one major obstacle that every business tends to encounter on the platform – the content mix. Quite simply, the content mix refers to the variety of content that you post on Instagram. While some businesses tend to lean towards promotional videos, others prefer posting educational videos.
In this post, we’ll compare the two types of content, i.e. educational and promotional, and tell you how your content mix should be on Instagram. So, without any further delay, let’s get started!
Educational content on Instagram: The advantages
If informing and educating your target audience about your business’ products and/or services are your primary goals, educational or informative content is the way to go. Apart from telling your target audience how to correctly use your products, you can also use educational content to talk about other relevant things in your niche.
Posting educational content on Instagram has several advantages to offer for businesses, such as:
- It helps your brand earn credibility and trust: When your content helps your audience to learn about new things, it automatically translates into greater trust and credibility for your brand. For instance, if your business deals in cosmetic products, you could post content that informs your audience regarding the best practices when it comes to using them. This will help your brand stand out as an expert in your niche and also provide value to audiences.
- It has a high chance of being shared: If people find your content informative and meaningful, it automatically increases the chances of them sharing your content. And we all know what sharing does, right? When your content is heavily shared, a lot of new people will be introduced to your brand, and if your content appeals to them as well, you can expect more shares.
- It can increase website traffic: For businesses, Instagram marketing isn’t a standalone activity – it’s an integral part of their overall marketing efforts. And its goal isn’t just to drive sales – it also involves increasing website traffic. Through informative and educational Instagram content, you can encourage your target audience to visit your website and learn more about your business and its offerings.
However, despite these advantages of educational content, the fact is that you can’t solely rely on it to grow your business. You also need promotional content, which we’ll discuss in detail in the next section.
The pros of posting promotional content on Instagram
You can think of promotional content as your business’ sales pitch on Instagram. Quite simply, promotional content allows your business to make a positive impression in the minds of your target audience. This is just as important as informing and educating them regarding your products and other relevant things in your niche. The pros of posting promotional content include:
- It enhances brand perception and awareness: In terms of building brand awareness and perception, there’s nothing that works quite like promotional content. A killer promotional campaign can help you cement your business’ identity in your target audience’s mind, which you can make the most of to drive sales.
- It can promote engagement: On Instagram, engagement matters, and if you want to witness an increase in Instagram likes and Instagram comments, you can’t afford to ignore promotional content. You can include call-to-action (CTA) messages across your promotional content that will encourage your audience to participate in conversations.
- It can notify your audience about upcoming events: If your business has any upcoming events, you can use promotional content to promote them, which will increase the likelihood of people turning up. You can optimize such content using features such as geotagging to let your audience know when and where the event is going to be held.
All in all, it’s fair to say that you should have a 50 – 50 mix of educational and promotional content on Instagram. The fact is that both types of content have their unique advantages for businesses.
If you want free Instagram followers and/or free Instagram likes, you should check out TurboMedia. It’s a software tool for increasing Instagram engagement and following – perfect for businesses new to the Instagram landscape. Additionally, you can buy Instagram views and Instagram followers through TurboMedia.
Also on TurboMedia
How to Leverage Instagram’s Social Commerce Features
In recent years, social commerce or Scommerce has become an industry of its own, and right now, its value is nearly a whopping $90 billion. Over the next few years, there are projections that estimate…
Benefits of Adding Your Links to Your Instagram Stories
People today spend most of their time on their smartphones. There is a wide range of apps available that help them spend their time in one way or the other. Out of these apps, Instagram…
Tips for Using Instagram Livestreams to Increase Your Followers
According to a survey conducted by Livestream and New York Magazine, 82% of people would like to watch a livestream rather than a social media post. The numbers are quite evident that going live on…