Things You Can Do To Return to Normal After Your Shadow Ban Has Been Lifted
An Instagram shadow ban refers to the banning or blocking of social media content. Typically, when shadow bans are enforced on users, they are not aware of it, as shadow banning isn’t something that Instagram officially does. For new brands hoping to reach their target audiences through Instagram, shadow bans can be devastating. But why are shadow bans enforced by Instagram? And what can you do to make things right again once the shadow ban is lifted? For all the answers to these questions, read on.
Why do accounts get shadow banned?
A shadow banned account is typically the result of the account engaging in one or more malpractices on Instagram. For instance, there are numerous Instagram accounts that turn to buy Instagram followers in the form of bots from dubious sources. These users believe that they can quickly scale the Instagram ladder and make an impression on target audiences by buying bot followers. Unfortunately, in the long run, their accounts tend to get shadow banned, as Instagram has a strict policy against users who bloat their follower counts and user engagement through bots.
Another reason an account might get shadow banned is the excessive use of hashtags. On Instagram, hashtags play a pivotal role in content discoverability. However, many users exploit hashtags by including irrelevant hashtags across all their posts, simply to be discovered. Again, this is a blatant violation of Instagram’s policy, which advises the use of relevant hashtags only (up to 30 per post). Accounts that share inappropriate or abusive or sensitive content are also at risk of getting slapped with a shadow ban.
Are shadow bans ever lifted?
The good news is that Instagram almost always lifts shadow bans – the only exceptions being accounts that continue to engage in malpractices despite being shadow banned.
So, if your account does get shadow banned, you don’t need to worry much about account recovery. We recommend doing one or more of the following to make sure that the shadow ban is lifted as soon as possible:
- Stop all Instagram activity for a few days – sometimes, accounts with too much activity are shadow banned as Instagram mistakes them for bot accounts.
- Report the issue – this generally makes things return to normal rapidly, but only if you haven’t violated Instagram’s Community Guidelines.
- Do away with apps you’ve linked to Instagram – some of them may be bot-driven apps whose activity may be violating the Community Guidelines.
What to do after your shadow ban is lifted?
Once Instagram lifts your shadow ban, we recommend doing the following things to ensure that your account gets back to functioning normally:
- Avoid spamming: Spamming your followers through Instagram likes and Instagram comments isn’t something we recommend. If you’re overdoing it, some of your followers may get annoyed and end up reporting your account, which is quite likely to lead to a shadow ban again.
- Keep a check on your activity on Instagram: Even if you’re feeling hyperactive on Instagram, we strongly advise you to refrain from doing things like liking over 100 posts within an hour and/or sending 50 DMs in a matter of minutes.
- Exercise caution when using hashtags: Sure, you can include up to 30 hashtags in every Instagram post, but it’s best not to do that. Also, use only relevant hashtags and never use banned hashtags. For a full list of banned hashtags, you can use Google search to your advantage.
- Say no to bots: Bot-driven apps and services may make tall claims about increasing Instagram views drastically overnight. However, in the long run, these services do more harm than good. So, say no to them and say yes to organic growth on Instagram.
If you are on the lookout for free Instagram likes and free Instagram followers which are safe, you should consider using TurboMedia – a software tool for brands hoping to make a mark on Instagram.
Also on TurboMedia
5 Easy Ways to Use Your Instagram Milestones to Rake Up New Followers
We know what an achievement it is when you get a new follower notification on your mobile screens! We understand how precious each follower is to your Instagram page and business, considering the fact that…
Using Instagram To Promote Your Etsy Store: Tips & Tricks
Did you know 80% of over a billion users on Instagram follow a business profile? Out of these, over 30% have reportedly purchased a product they first spotted on Instagram. These numbers are enough to…
Your Guide to Geotargeting on Instagram
Businesses are always finding ways to expand their reach on Instagram. As many as 1 billion people have accounts on Instagram, and almost 500 million use it daily. No doubt, a strong brand presence on…